Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Reorganization

Merry Christmas everyone! I have to admit it does not feel like the christmas season at all to me. Its hot, there wasn't too much decoration or christmas music, and its just not that big of a deal down here. I joined the ranks of many of travellers who has had their stuff stolen ... camera and phone. But not too broken over it. I had recently downloaded my photos so I only lost a few. I took them out with me at night ... which was just a dumn idea anyway.
I have decided that no plan plan is the the way for me to travel. Some semblence of planning is required for the simple fact that if everything is done on a whim then all of my budget will be spent on the last minute airline tickets. So I have decided to come home for a couple weeks are rearrange things ... which I admit feels a bit lame, but ultimately I think it will lead to a better experience for me. Being down here for 6 weeks has allowed me to learn a lot about South America and what I want to do. I already have a ticket to return to Buenos Aires mid february from the Caribbean ... might try to add a cruise in there (thanks for the suggestion dimps). So my unresearched plan for now is to go to Ushuaia (the most souther city in the world). A quick trip to El Calafate to visit the Glaciers and back to Ushuaia. From there you can go to Antarctica but that cruise costs $3,000. A cheaper option that I think I will go on is a $300 trip through the fjords or Southern Chile. This leads me to Puerto Monte and from there back to Argentina and the lakes district. Make my way through Argentina to Mendoza, then back to Chile to Santiago where I hope to make a stop at Easter Island. Continue up through Northern Chile to Bolivia, Peru, and Equador. I have heard good things about all of these and would like to visit the Gallapagos. I didn't bring a South America travel guide with me, which was brilliant so will have to start doing my research when I meet up with my cousin in the Bahamas, who is graciously bring it with her. Now that I know what I will be doing I will have a better idea what I will be needed and can dump a lot of my stuff.
There are some benefits to this as well, leaving the hot sweaty heat of BsAs and avoiding the crazy crowds in Patagonia. And of course I have been crazy jealous of the phenomenal skiing that you have been enjoying back in the Northwest. Consider yourself very lucky as Europe has not had any good snow. (I looked into that). So I guess that means I will be seeing some of you earlier than I anticipated, but I will be focusing mainly on skiing, studying my spanish, and planning my trip ... no messing around ... well maybe a little.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard the Galapagos are brilliant this time of year...But seriously, one of my friends was there this past summer and said it was amazing. Highly suggested!

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just finished reading all of your posts. It sounds like a pretty amazing time your having!
Reorganization my ass, you just need your pow pow fix!
Just wanted to wish you a merry christmas and an exciting new year where ever you end up pitching.

Paddy

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Kyle!

Ski trip to Seattle!

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home