Friday, March 09, 2007

First Day

This morning at 6 am I found out that the ship is equiped with an amazing loud PA system, that is used quite liberally. They announced our departure, three times. I decided I might as well go look at whats going on ... but all I found was darkness with some small lights here and there. Figuring that climatic event of departure could be better experienced in my bunk, I returned below. Later in the day we navigated through some narrow passages with some small islands.
There wasn't much to do than read, write, and hang out. I met a Dutch couple who were very fun and I was able to amaze them of my knowledge of dutch with the hello and goodbye I had learned last week in El Chalten. Shortly before dinner we found my two cabin mates. Reg and Grayson. Reg is a kayak guide from Ferndale, Wa and Grayson is a reporter for Outdoor Magazine. Reg had got a grant from Gore-Tex to kayak to a glacier that has never been reached before. This was his third attempt (first by kayak) and was successful. Super interesting guys and I now felt like I was lame kid in the cabin by quiting my job and traveling by such conventional means such as bus and plane.

I ate lunch with some of the Swedes and was informed of a costume party in the evening. I was quite surprised the extenses that the Swedish will go for a costume party, especially when backpacking. The lounge turned into quite a little party complete with DJ and dance floor. You can't get much better than a sexy Swedish Nurse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home