Wednesday, March 07, 2007

On the road again



The calendar dictates that I have to return to El Calafate. I don't like schedules, but must admit that I am excited for the ferry trip. I headed back early in the morning so I could visit the Portito Moreno glacier in the afternoon. It is spectacular. Apart from being just enormous, there are pieces that drop of quite regularly. The noise is quite spectacular. The smallest pieces (or at lease percieved as small) make loud sounds. I got to see an entire slab the full height of the glacier, 30 meters, fall into the the lake. It was interesting becuase it sheared off vertically and slid down into the water. As it slid, the piece fell away from the glacier creating a huge wave as it hit the water at an odd angle. With such great momentum, the whole piece submerged itself for a while and then came shooting back up in two pieces. Quite a dramatic display. The first photo is a pit stop between El Chalten and El Calafate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home